Saturday, March 12, 2011

AMATEUR’S NOOK

Cyril B. Nape
 As my pen talks…
As my pen talks…
As my pen talks…
 _________________________________________________________________________________


I don’t know how to write. I don’t even know how to construct a good sentence. I just go to school and do the usual thing until the school decided to have a newsletter. At first I was so hesitant to join. I was bothered not to make it there. How could a first year student like me do such a challenging task? But with a curious heart, I took the qualifying test. There’s no harm in trying anyway. Until I woke up one day...I’m already a part of it. Yes, I am now a writer...an amateur one.
                 True enough, the life of a writer is not an ordinary one. The challenges are there. My first “baptism of fire” was when we joined the DSSPC. I was so shocked of the trainings in preparation for the battle. I thought I was unprepared knowing that the training was only for four days. As I started the rigid writing exercises with our adviser and with the help of our school head, I almost thought of giving up with all my outputs scratched out with red inks of comments and more. I thought, writing was really not my craft.
One busy day of December 2010, I unintentionally entered our school’s mini-library. No one was in sight as I look around, then a copy on The CNHS Herald displayed on the wall caught my attention. I sat down and started scanning pages of the said magazine.
One article that pleased me much was entitled “ Start with a scratch and be a writer”...After reading the article, one realization came to my mind…”no one really starts full and perfect...Every writer has to undergo the process of rejections until he becomes a seasoned one”…
With that, I found myself holding a pen and started writing. I submitted it to my English teacher. At first it was rejected for so many times that I had to do a lot of re-writing of my article until it was finally accepted. I felt so proud and started writing more…
As I continue writing for the first issue of our school paper, I found out that there are so many things I want to write. I want to express so many things in my mind. I want my classmates and my friends to know what I know and what they should know. I want to explain so many things through writing…
A simple person with few words I am, the power of my pen is all I need. I want my pen to talk for me. I want to prove that writing is not a waste of time...that writing can be a source of strength…
I want my readers to smile and say…” Keep on writing Cyril… you inspire us”
Now, I am not afraid of rejections for my articles...after all I know I am still in the process of sharpening my pen...I should really have to start with a scratch because I want to be a WRITER….

No comments:

Post a Comment